The year was 1954, and two young newlyweds had asked California-modernism pioneer Richard Neutra to design this Bel Air stunner as their dream home. Some half a century later, philanthropist Adele Binder acquired it from the couple, along with the original drawings for an unrealized second story.
Enlisting preservation-minded architect John Bertram, Binder used the plans to orchestrate a $2.5-million expansion, and now the resulting 4,300-square-foot four-bedroom structure—which sits on half an acre and includes a pool—is crowned by a glass-walled master suite with sweeping views from city to sea.
See below for a look around the home.
A version of this article first appeared in print in our 2018 Summer Issue under the headline On the Market. Subscribe to the magazine.