8 Highlights from Bonhams Modern Design & Art Auction
Art and design aficionados know that timeless pieces never go out of style. Rather, they become classic examples of true craftsmanship that withstands the test of time. A trove of remarkable works embodying these qualities from the early 20th century to present day went under the hammer on Sunday at Bonhams Los Angeles for the Modern Design | Art Auction.
The sale included rare objects from industrial designer Raymond Loewy and San Francisco’s Clift Hotel, as well as pieces by iconic artists who blurred the line between art and design. See below to find out how much the most intriguing pieces fetched at the auction.
1. Raymond Loewy, Untitled (Abstract Landscape) (1957); sold for $6,325
2. Sido and Francis Thevenin, Crypto 10 armchair (1985); sold for $80,075
3. David Hockney, Langan Beverly (1980s); sold for $20,075
4. Studio 65, Marilyn Bocca Lip sofa (1972); sold for $6,575
5. Salvador Dalí, Lampara Muletas (1937); sold for $1,211
6. Sam Francis, Rug (1990); sold for $6,325
7. Arthur Espenet Carpenter, rolltop desk (1976); sold for $31,325
8. Ernest A. Batchelder, two jardinieres in glazed terra-cotta (early 20th century); sold for $4,825