The 9 Most Captivating Paraiba Tourmaline Jewels to Covet this Summer
If you could distill the essence of the ocean into a gemstone, a Paraiba tourmaline would be it. Hailing from the copper-rich mountains of northern Brazil, the blue-green jewel is treasured for its scarcity, with just one specimen discovered for every 10,000 diamonds. It’s is also highly prized for its extraordinary color, which ranges from neon blue to minty green and appears to light up from within.
First discovered in 1989 by the gem miner Heitor Dimas Barbosa, the stone is named after the small Brazilian town of Paraiba, which was thought to be the sole source of the gem. But in 2001, similar tourmalines with the same mesmerizing color were discovered in Nigeria and Mozambique too.
Due to the extremely limited supply—especially when it comes to the highest-quality stones—their popularity has skyrocketed over past five years, and it’s not uncommon to see the stones fetching five figures. To celebrate their vivid hue, which recalls the different shades of the ocean, we’ve rounded up the most spectacular this season.
1. These earrings from Chopard‘s Red Carpet Collection are crafted in 18K white gold and titanium set with two brilliant-cut tanzanite and brilliant-cut Paraiba tourmalines, diamonds, and amethysts. chopard.com
2. This 18K-white-gold Paraiba cluster ring trinity from Coomi features a whopping 22-carat Paraiba tourmaline and 3.38 carats of diamonds. coomi.com
3. Marco Bicego’s Uniqo necklace features hand-coiled 18K yellow gold with Paraiba tourmaline and diamonds. us.marcobicego.com
4. The New York–based artist turned jeweler Ana Khouri (one of Galerie’s Creative Minds) presented her Harmony collection at the recent Paris Haute Couture Week. This asymmetrical white gold, diamond, and Paraiba tourmaline Phillipa necklace features a pair of stunning tourmalines sourced from her native Brazil—one a minty green and the other a neon turquoise. anakhouri.com
5. The master of colored gemstones, Oscar Heyman presents this dazzling bracelet crafted with 19 oval Paraiba tourmalines and 38 round diamonds. oscarheyman.com
6. One of the most coveted and iconic jewelry designs, the Harry Winston cluster radiates timeless glamour. This version features a 4.86-carat, oval-cut Paraiba tourmaline, sapphires, and diamonds set in platinum. harrywinston.com
7. These striking earrings in emeralds, tourmalines, and diamonds are from Piaget‘s Sunlight Escape collection, which was inspired by the vast landscapes of the North Pole and showcased during Haute Couture Week in January. piaget.com
8. Gucci debuted its first high jewelry collection at the Place Vendôme during Paris Haute Couture Week earlier this month. One of the stunning pieces on offer is this ring, which features an oval Paraiba tourmaline clutched in the jaws of an 18K-white-gold lion. gucci.com
9. Victoire de Castellane, creative director of high jewelry at Dior, has designed the brand’s latest high jewelry collection to be a celebration of light and color. Dubbed Gem Dior, the series also marks the house’s 20th anniversary of Dior Joaillerie. This triple ring makes a statement with sapphires, diamonds, emeralds, aquamarines, and a bold pear-shaped Paraiba tourmaline. dior.com